The Irrigation Engineer will lead the technicians in installing, testing, and maintaining irrigation equipment including sprinklers, pumps, water lines, and suction valves. Through Regional Irrigation Managers, take care of all irrigation stations, assuring proper maintenance and operation of the engines, pumps, and automation systems, as well as housekeeping and good conditions of the equipment shelter.
Summary of Key Responsibilities;
- Supervises and participates in the installation, repair, and maintenance of irrigation systems and groundskeeping activities;
- Weekly visits to Commercial Farmers in different farming blocks (i.e Mukushi Farming Block, Southern Province, Mumbwe)
- Keep track of water quality before irrigating, and submit samples for analysis when necessary.
- Schedule crews to check for leakings, microjets malfunctioning and general operation of the irrigation system
- Lead Technicians in the repair works of irrigation system controllers and minor plumbing problems;
- Replace seals and impellers on centrifugal pumps; maintains irrigation system pumps;
- Monitor controllers and automatic system;
- Troubleshoot system malfunctions; locates system leaks;
- Monitor watering time and cycles on controllers.
- Troubleshooting Controllers to assist Irrigation Technicians on a daily basis.
- Testing the soil and vegetation to determine irrigation needs.
- Mapping out areas for irrigation installation.
- Digging trenches and installing pipes and lines.
- Installing pumps and electrical timers.
- Testing the irrigation system with the aid of computer software.
- Conducting routine maintenance checks.
- Troubleshooting and replacing faulty parts.
- Completing progress reports and associated paperwork.
- Report monthly or according to manager request, the flowmeter readings, the engine worked hours, and maintenace performed.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Good communication skills.
- Attention to detail
- Knowledge of Installing and repairing Controllers
- Ability to train Irrigation Technicians on the operation of wire tracer equipment, voltage tester, and checking low voltage.
- Ability to prepare plans and detailed reports
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other departmental staff, contractors and the general public.
- Knowledge of effective supervisory principles and methods
- Ability to assist with budget preparation.
- Ability to maintain irrigation equipment inventory
Primary Areas of Accountability:
Qualifications and Experience
- Possession of a Qualification in the Design and Installation of Irrigation Systems or Related
- Must have a minimum of 7-10 years in Irrigation Engineering working with Well established Commercial Farmers in Zambia and Southern African Countries
- Must have good knowledge of Microjet systems (familiar with connectors, barbs, gulf bridge, nozzle and spreaders)
- Working experience as an Irrigation Engineer in 2-3 Southern African Countries will be a plus
- Must be conversant with irrigation systems powered by solar and diesel engine
- Knowledge of irrigation and electrical timer systems.
- Good knowledge of Computerized Irrigation System's new technology
- Skilled in the organization to effectively plan, assign, supervise and review the work of subordinate personnel.
- Knowledge of plumbing is preferable.
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions.
- Ability to stand for long periods and lift heavy objects.
- Knowledge of the Zambian soil, vegetation, and climate condition
If you meet the minimum hiring requirements for the above position, please email your CV and Cover letter clearly stating your salary expectations to: email@example.com and copy in firstname.lastname@example.org
Note that, all communications will be kept in the strictest of confidence. If you do not receive communication within 21 days of the closing date of the advert, please consider your application unsuccessful.
DO NOT SEND CERTIFICATES AT THIS STAGE